mardi 25 février 2014

READ: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values
by Robert M. Pirsig

It is a most remarquable book.
I was walking along the Boulevard Saint Michel without a real purpose. Nothing else to do with my day but walking around. I, then, arrived at the level of Boulinier, a second hand book shop with very good price and, more importantly, plenty of books to go around.

As I was flipping through them, I found this small one. It was a bit old, wrinkled and its previous owner, though very careful with it, was a smoker. This always leaves a peculiar scent to the book and, even if I don't smokes, it brings back the memory of my uncle whom I had just lost. It is a reason not better or worse than another to buy a book. I took out the 20 cents, it was worth and left.
At the time, I was living in the suburbs and I had to take a metro to commute back there. I took the little book out of my bag as soon as I arrived in the train and I did not see the time go by.

It is a witty book playing around as the autobiography of a man traveling along the Sturgess road across the United States of America. He is trying to share the beauty and his memories with a son who is not really paying much attention. Though they are travelling with a couple of friends, the narrator is the only one to be treating his bike as his own thing, which he can fix and learns to fix on the way as well.
When he tells us how all of these things work and happen, he gives us a good overview of Phedre and his own interpretation of this work.
It is like reading an entertaining and soothing road trip whilst learning a bit more about philosophy and way of thinking.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire